Wednesday, December 17, 2008

TWENTY FUCKING YEARS!!!!!!


Back in 1989 I wrote and directed a short piece of performance art for my senior project in High School. It was pretentious, hippy shite. Admittedly. Rather than hate it, I'd prefer to liken it to a fledgling serial killer's first clumsy kill (cue the Hannibel dialogue.) Sure it was silly, and I'm glad I own nothing more than the flyer for it (thank god even the late-80s were outside of the digital age, or there'd be video of this crap all over.) Still, it was a young savage's first attempts at actually doing something on my own. Thinking about visuals and music in sequential form.

I later wrote two other pieces of shit for friends to direct... and the flyers were fantastic. The music awesome. The product, a little better. I did a piece in college that got me thrown out. Plastered NYC with weird nonsensical flyers - and eventually jumped the old 'Hound to find my voice in Los Angeles. There I concentrated harder on writing... eventually trading my artist's pen for that of the music critic. I DJ'ed and made occasional art.

I'd liken my "career" to the BTK, not John Gacy. It have spurts of violent action - followed by long ass periods of hibernation.

If I remember correctly, the theme of that first performance was the change of the seasons - and how the cycle continually flows - but thing kind of stay the same. Therefore, I decided my first post of "circa 2009" should be a return to my roots. I've included the four songs I used in that piece (backwards,) filled it out with some new stuff, stole a track from BIOSHOCK and ended it with the happiest hip hop song ever made about shooting heroin....

Throw the Telebtubbies Baby on an Ulver cover- and you've got instant art!




circa SAVIOR 2009

http://www.divshare.com/download/6103167-550


I've Got Magic Inside my Bones Somewhere
The Roches - Hallelujah Chorus (Slowed)
Catherine Ribiero - Alpes I
Patti Smith Group - Ghost Dance
Fursaxa - Nawne Ye
Anna Holmer - Gu She Na Di
Thorbbing Gristle - AB/7A
Hurray for Riff Raff - Lenore
Tickley Festher - Ooooo
The Trees - Psalm 46
Melanie - Close to It All (Slowed)
Barn Owl - The Sun Fails
The Tokens - Some People Sleep
Noel Coward - This is a Changing World
Da Shara - Bootin Up

No comments: