Thursday, October 23, 2008

WE ARE UGLY, BUT WE HAVE THE MUSIC


Well, I'm still online... so I'll share and rant.

This mix is filled with new folk... anti-folk... the 'punk folk' revival... what have you.

All this new folk revival shit really pisses me off. Revival? When did it leave? I can draw a direct line from Leadbelly to Devandra Banheart, and guess what... the must just ain't that different or special. It folk music... some of it is really good.

Like and MC and DJ... the power of a voice accompanied only by a guitar is a powerful weapon. It is the flower and the gun. It can make a love song sound like protest music. That power is in Pete Seeger... it's in Patti Smith... it's in Beat Happening... and old Liz Phair and Moldy Peaches and so on...

I can get some of the hoopla over the modernism, Kimya Dawson and Adam Gold are to Neil Young as "Gummo" is to "Drugstore Cowboy.' Rather than proselytize, they place you in the moment. Like a Diane Arbus photo. I appreciate this and I thank them... but didn't Lou, Sterling, Doug and mo do it in the early 70's???

As long as there are guitars to beat on and people with thoughts that need to come out, we'll have this thing. And in times like these, the need to be heard is as important is it was in the Vietnam era.



BTW: Switched to DivShare cuz zShare still blows. If zShare continues to suck, I'll transfer all the mixes over.





Pistol in the Flower

http://www.divshare.com/download/5656568-d87


Antsy Pants - Big City
Noah and the Whale - Second Lover
Marnie Stern - Prime 1
Pinkiny Canady - Boop Boop A Doop
Soko - Shitty Day
Elly & Rikkert - Heksenkring
John Frusciante - Your Pussy is Glued to a Building on Fire
Woods Family Creeps - Twisted Tongue
The Shaggs - My Pal Foot Foot
Moldy Peaches - Jorge Regula
The Young Idea - Games Men Play
Majority One - Because I Love
Miss Kenichi - The Lizards
Leonard Cohen - Chelsea Hotel # 2
Beat Happening - Drive Car Girl

No comments: