Monday, October 6, 2008

CHICKS I DIG




This one's a small dedication to a few of my musical crushes. Yes, I like the girls. Sure, I love Bowie and Barrett and Robert Smith, but it doesn't compare to that feeling you get when you discover a woman that can literally sing to your soul.


As a kid, I was obsessed with Melanie Safka's bare feet and child's voice. I still am. She reminds me of the Virgin statue I had in my room. I remember seeing the cover of "Stateless" for the first time. and being fixated on Lene Lovich, with her black stare and Fritz Lang lighting. The perfection of Debbie Harry, with her junkie complexion, bad bleach job and luscious DSLs. The odd allure of Nina Hagen, her beautiful Germanic punk glare and dangerous aura. Tell me: who couldn't fall in love with the chubby cheeked Lady in the Radiator, as she sang all our virtual Eraserheads to sleep with her gently twisted lullaby?!?
In 2004 I discovered Cocorosie, and the first album didn't leave my CD player for months. I had to special order Joanna Newsom's first, living in the podunk town I'm in. I picked it up and played it... and was back to Melanie all over again! I just discovered Bat for Lashes... which drew me back to Bjork. And we won't even get into Anabella's orgasmic moaning!
I could rant endlessly about the rock and roll women in my life... but I don't have time. Only know that I have a beautiful punk rock girl sleeping next to me every night. She introduced me to The Distillers... and I immediately played her a copy of "Los Angeles," excited that there was still some good California country punk left in this world.
This is just volume one of many... it is a bit choppy in the beginning, but it smooths out nicely towards the end. I decided not to refine it any... just enjoy my masturbatory ADD, as I think of all the girls I've loved before.
I DIGK CHIX

Lene Lovich - Home
Melt Banana - Dig Out!
Le Tigre - Deceptacon
Bow Wow Wow - Sexy Eiffel Towers
The Sugarcubes - Fucking in Rhythm and Sorrow
In Heaven
Bat For Lashes - What's a Girl to Do
Blondie - Fade Away and Radiate
The Sugarcubes - Dream TV
The Distillers - Lordy Lordy
X - Los Angeles
Tex and the Horseheads - Bartender Sam
Nina Hagen - African Reggae
Althea and Donna - Uptown Top Ranking
Nina Hagen - Taischi Tarot
Joanna Newsom - Cosmia
Melanie - Close to it All
Cocorosie - Raimbow Warriror

No comments: