Tuesday, January 27, 2009

HAT TIP TO TUBBY



My Myspace page proudly states my obvious heroes. Among them (and at the top of the list) are Larry Levan, Robert Davis (DJ Screw) and King Tubby. Pioneers of the sonic kingdom. Men blessed with the gift to make music a very personal journey.

I couldn't even begin to consider myself in their league... I just hope I do them justice. Each, for the most part unknowingly, fulfilled the dream of my uber hero, William S. Burroughs. Taking mass marketed media and warping it to fit their own, slightly sinister, goals. The result is often termed psychedelic... although that is a perception based upon outside objectivity.

Any expression so intimate will seem strange to outside ears. A different language spoken on a bus. A sign, printed in an alphabet never seen before. It seemed bizzare in the mid-60's, but do Brian Wilson's late compositions really sound so strange now? We've heard so many sounds influenced by them, that we've grown accustomed to it... and now we simply hear the beauty that was always there.

My heroes played their music the way THEY wanted to hear it. Thankfully, others wanted to hear it the same way. They were not attempting to make strange, trippy drug music... they were just trying to express to the world what they heard. These blog mixes have helped me to do that. I've reached a point where my mixes have become extremely personal.

I only hope that they touch a few others as well... and possibly inspire them the way Robert, Larry and Tubbs do me.










Sound Selector Status




http://www.divshare.com/download/6401668-bfe




David Gates - Goodbye Girl (Slowed)
Harry Chapin - Cats in the Cradle (Slowed)
Flying Lizards - Move On Up
Joe White - Mellow Dub
Starfucker - Miss You
G Side - Minute Away - (Slowed)
Yay Boyz and Dru Down - Pimpy Doo
On Every Shore
The Books - Cello Song
Undisputed Truth - Smiling Faces Sometimes
Lizzy - Love is a Treasure
Nouvelle Vague - Guns of Brixton

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm feeling that Cats In The Cradle Joint slowed. Did you add the echo too?