Friday, September 19, 2008

Dancing with Tears in My Eyes



Sure, I was a new romantic. I had the hair... the frown... the attitude. I wore the black and had a red light in my bedroom. I'd sit in that bedroom and type out poems like I was some sort of Baudelaire, cutting crucifixes into my arm with a razor blade.

Am I supposed to be embarrassed? New Ro was the Emo of its time. I was a morbid, drunk sissy boy in creepers and eyeliner. None of that industrial aggression and angst.. just the pure serotonin of tears and torment. I was the gutter heart on Marc Almond's shoulder... the protagonist of some devastating 19th century French novel.

I listened to a lot of other music... I could slam the pit with the best... but I wore my heart on my sleeve like a true romantic. Writing poems to girls I hardly knew, just knowing my gut-wrenching verse would inspire them to join me in a suicide pact. Take the pain away forever.

I'm older now. I discovered cyberpunk and raves in the nineties. Dance to disco in the early part of this decade. Still, I'm proud of my tragic awkwardness, and I always find that the world comes back to New Romantics every couple of years.

Why?, well it would have to be songs like this:

13 Buckets of Tears
http://www.zshare.net/audio/190123247370e84e/

Tracklist:
Men Without Hats-Antarctica
Secession - Simon Says
SSQ - Walkman On
Electronic - Gangster
The Birthday Massacre - To Die For
FPU - Ocean Drive
Q Lazzarus - Goodbye Horses
Ministry - Revenge
Visage - Fade to Gray
SSQ - Jet Town
Peter Godwin - Images of Heaven
Endgames - First, Last, Everything
Fad Gadget - I Discover Love

No comments: